Anyone who lives in the Las Vegas area knows that when it comes to the summer it’s crucial to have air conditioning. But you also know that it can be downright expensive to run an air conditioner all day long for months on end. The Las Vegas summers may deliver some brutal heat, but you can beat it and keep expenses down if you consider making the switch to an Energy Star air conditioner. The question is, “Will a more efficient air conditioner save me enough money to justify the purchase?”
Many people have heard of “Energy Star” when it comes to appliances, but they are not sure exactly what it is or what sets an Energy Star air conditioner apart from others. Here are 6 things to know about Energy Star air conditioners:
1. When you see the “Energy Star” name it means the air conditioner has been made following strict standards for saving energy. The guidelines that manufacturers must meet are set forth by the Environmental Protection Agency.
2. By choosing an Energy Star air conditioner you will use less energy. That alone is going to translate to lower energy bills each month, even during the hot Las Vegas summers.
3. On average, making the switch to an Energy Star air conditioner will save about 15 percent of the energy being used each month. A 15 percent savings on your bill each month will really add up over the year.
4. It’s important to also replace the heating system at the same time that you make the switch to an Energy Star air conditioner. If you don’t do that and the new system is hooked up to an old furnace you will not get the energy savings you are seeking.
5. Any air conditioner that is over 15 years old should be considered for replacement. Once it’s that old it is no longer efficient and it is costing you more per month than you should be paying.
6. If your air conditioner is over 12 years old and you replace it with an Energy Star unit, it is estimated that you will save around 30 percent on your monthly expenses.
Many people feel that replacing their air conditioner for a new Energy Star one is a switch they can’t afford. Yet the truth is that it’s a switch they can’t afford to not make. The savings they will get from making the switch will save them money every month for years to come. That alone is enough to help you get through the Las Vegas summers!
If you think it might be time to replace your air conditioner, this short video might help you decide. If you have any questions please give us a call!
Energy Star. Central Air Conditioning. < http://www.energystar.gov/certified-products/detail/air_conditioning_central>